The UK Charity BackCare is promoting the importance of back health for children this week as their main focus of National BackCare Week.
At our Chiropractic clinic in Worthing, one of the most important questions our chiropractors ask patients is about the physical stresses they experienced in childhood. As the saying goes…’As the twig bends, so grows the tree’. Meaning that early influences can have a lasting effect!
Childhood back pain is becoming more common but the good news is that through better understanding of the causes, parents, teachers and children themselves can take appropriate steps to reduce pain and problems.
Our 5 top tips for reducing back pain in children;
1. Reduce the weight of school back packs / rucksacks. No more than 10% of body weight.
2. Drink plenty of water each day. Replace fizzy drinks with watered down fruit juice.
3. Better sitting at home & no slouching in front of the TV.
4. Choose a good pillow and encourage sleeping on the side or back as it helps the neck curve develop.
5. Read and use mobile devices without looking down towards the floor. This helps prevent neck problems and headaches.
Along with getting plenty of undisturbed sleep each night, these 5 tips should reduce the chances of children suffering with back pain, neck pain, headaches and migraines. Importantly, teaching children great spinal health habits can help prevent problems in adult years too.
Children’s spinal health is very important. The spine houses and protects the delicate nervous system which takes all the messages from the brain to the body…and back again! Our Chiropractors regularly see children to check their spines are growing healthy and strong and can give specific, valuable advice to both children and their parents.
After all…As the twig bends, so grows the tree!